Seek immediate help if you feel like you can't keep yourself safe right now.
Go to the Accident and Emergency department at the nearest hospital, or call 999 and ask for an ambulance if you can't get there. You can also ask someone else to call for you or to take you to A&E.
If you need some support right now but don't want to go to A&E, you can do one of the following:
- Call the Samaritans on 116 123. They won't tell anyone about your conversation but they will talk to you to help you get through it. They are open 24 hours a day.
- Get in touch with your GP to make an emergency appointment.
- Call NHS 111 (England)
What does it feel like to be suicidal?
Many of us think about suicide at least once in our lives - you are not alone. You may however feel confused and scared of your feelings - especially if you don't know why you are having them. You might feel like people will be better off without you, or think about how you can take your own life. Although the thoughts and feelings are different for everyone, these are some that you might be experiencing:
- Like you'll never be happy again
- Like you have no other choice
- Like you are numb or cut off from your body
- Like nobody wants or needs you in their lives
- Like the negative thoughts just won't end
- The urge to self harm
- Low self-esteem or self-loathing
- Lack of a desire to look after yourself
- Change in weight, appetite
- Poor sleep
- You might feel unable to tell someone or not sure who to tell
- Scared that they won't understand, that they'll judge you or that you will upset them
- You might not be at the point where you want to kill yourself, but feel like the negative feelings are unbearable
- Samaritans website
- MIND - Explains what suicidal feelings are, possible causes and ways to cope.
- Maytree - Maytree is a registered charity which supports people in suicidal crisis in a non-medical setting. Take a look at their website if you think you or someone you know might benefit from a one-off stay in a safe and confidential space. Any contact is completely confidential.